May be software piracy is not the problem (or there are other problems).
Consider for example scilab, which is a free replacement for Matlab (at
least partially): it has a huge success in China, even if it is very
easy to get "non official" versions of matlab for only some Yuans.
But Scilab is quite an official software in China, with software
contests for students!
Have a look at this:

http://www.scilab.org.cn/