On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 8:45:26 AM UTC-7, John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 3:36:37 AM UTC-7, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>>
>> Let's try to summarize what we have so far.
>>
>> I am going to ignore responses of the form "just port all/some packages
>> to new-style". That's certainly a good thing to do, but it doesn't
>> answer the question. It's also a more long-term solution, while we need
>> something by the next stable Sage release.
>>
>> So far, nobody was in favour of (A) and (C), so that gives us 2
>> remaining options:
>>
>> (B) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should still work but with a clear warning
>> message.
>> (D) sage -i OLDSTYLEPKGNAME should give an error (possibly a more
>> helpful error message than what we currently have).
>>
>> Votes so far are:
>> (B): Jeroen Demeyer, Simon King
>> (D): Volker Braun, John Cremona, John Palmieri
>>

> To clarify, I would really want option (D) if the error message were much
> more helpful, including the URL for a direct link to the package. If I had
> to rank my choices:
> (D) with helpful error message
> (B)
> (D) as it currently is
>
> --
> John

I could also be easily persuaded to (B) if we don't allow "sage -i python"
to install the old python-2.5 package. (There is also the TOPCOM vs. topcom
issue. Maybe delete TOPCOM from the file server? And as I've said before,
don't search archived packages for possible installation. The website lists
these as "old/broken/deprecated", so they should be hard to install.)

--
John