On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 7:47:23 AM UTC-7, William wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 4:38 AM, Eric Gourgoulhon
> <egourg...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le vendredi 25 septembre 2015 08:45:34 UTC+2, Jori Mäntysalo a écrit :
> >>
> >> More on docstrings:
> >>
> >> "The Frattini sublattice `\Phi(L)` is the intersection - -" vs.
> "Returns
> >> the Frattini subgroup of ``self``. The Frattini - -".
> >>
> >> 1) Should we include symbols in docstrings? I.e. add \otimes to
> >> ordinal_product() of posets, as used in Enumerative combinatorics?
> >

> > IMHO, yes. They are nicely rendered in the html documentation, either in
> the
> > notebook or in the reference manual pages.  The only trouble is of the
> > course
> > the ?-help in the console mode, but this seems a minor issue since
>
> > we may assume that most users understand LaTeX.
>
> This is a questionable assumption.  Numerical most users of Sage are
> undergraduates, and most undergraduates don't know about LaTeX.

The Sage developer's guide says

**Readability balance:** in the interactive console, LaTeX formulas
contained in
the documentation are represented by their LaTeX code (with
backslashes stripped). In this situation ``\\frac{a}{b}`` is less readable
than ``a/b``
or ``a b^{-1}`` (some users may not even know LaTeX code). Make it pleasant
for
everybody as much as you can manage.

--
John