On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 10:07:33 AM UTC-7, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Since we can already detect doctests, and among those we can already
> detect
> > the various doctest flags, we should be able to hide those flags. The
> TESTS
> > blocks are a different situation. If we insist that TESTS blocks are
> always
> > the last thing in the docstring, I can imagine it working.
>
> There are cases where this would be wrong: I saw some code whose
> 'references' appeared after a test block. However, that should not be
> very hard to check manually, so that we could make sure that we first
> fix all such occurrences.

Okay, http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/19503 skips TESTS blocks when doing
introspection ("sage: foo?"). It optionally skips them when building the
reference manual, but I think that the default should be to include them:
the reference manual should err toward having too much rather than too
little.

I haven't touched the doctesting flags like "not tested". Even though they
are brief and might be confusing, I could imagine cases where their lack
could be even more confusing. We should instead add something to the
tutorial about how to interpret our doctests.

--
John