'iftex' is required directly because of line 311 in src/doc/common/conf.py:

\usepackage{iftex}

This was added in https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22252, to compensate for
the fact that Sphinx no longer included it by default. The 'iftex' package
is part of TeXLive; I don't know about other TeX distributions.

  John