Regarding the current polling for docstring guidelines and standards,
perhaps it would be better to write docstrings in a form like

def f(...):
    """
    one line description, as we currently have

    .. INPUT::

        input block, maybe an itemized list

    .. OUTPUT::

        output block

    .. ALGORITHM::

        etc.

    ..  SEEALSO::

        etc.
    """

We would need to add "INPUT", "OUTPUT", etc. as Sphinx directives. Then we
would have control over the format for the output.

Or we could use the existing Sphinx syntax of

    :param x: the number of edges
    :type x: integer
    :return: the number of vertices
    :rtype: integer
    :raises ValueError: if x is negative

and then perhaps modify how Sphinx produces output from those.

Or see http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/ext/napoleon.html for another
option. Maybe we should look into this one more.

--
John