On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:51:46 AM UTC-7, Frédéric Chapoton wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We have almost reached the state of vanilla sage building with
> SAGE_PYTHON3=yes (this does not mean working !). But something seems to go
> wrong, and I would like help to find and fix the current problem.
>
> So, for people that want to do something else than answering polls, you
> can try the following:
>
> In a separate install of sage, on top of 8.0.beta7, apply
>
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/23030 (git pull trac u/chapoton/23030)
>
> and
>
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/22305 (git pull trac public/22305)
>
> then export SAGE_PYTHON3=yes
>
> and make build.
>
> This should finish succesfully, with the usual message.

It took me a bit more work. First I had a problem with the Sage library,
which I could fix by applying #23029. Second, conway-polynomials wouldn't
build because it couldn't find six.moves, so I had to change the
spkg-install script to use #!/usr/bin/env sage-python23 instead of
#!/usr/bin/env python. I should also point out that even when the problem
is only in conway-polynomials, the build process keeps rebuilding all of
sagelib, rebuilding all of the extensions. So something is not correctly
detecting that the Sage library files are already built and installed.

The docs now don't build, although now I see that you were not recommending
even trying. Anyway, the error is:

/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/sage_builds/TESTING/sage-8.0.beta7/local/bin/python:

No module named sage_setup

I suppose it should be calling python3 or sage-python23 instead. If we're
not worrying about the docs for now, that's fine with me.

Anyway, I finally got 'make build' to work and I ran into the same problem
you did. One issue is that sage-ipython is being called, and its first line
is #!/usr/bin/env python, which calls python2. You can change that to
sage-python23 (which calls a version of Python depending on the setting of
SAGE_PYTHON3). When I do that, Sage creates a crash report, saying

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sage.structure.sage_object'. Indeed,
when I look at local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sage/structure, there are
no .so files there. This must be related to the issues that caused constant
rebuilding of the Sage library. Here are some lines from the log file:

copying
build/lib.macosx-10.9-x86_64-3.6/sage/structure/sage_object.cpython-36m-darwin.so

->
/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/sage_builds/TESTING/sage-8.0.beta7/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sage/structure

and then later

Cleaning up stale file:
/Users/palmieri/Desktop/Sage_stuff/sage_builds/TESTING/sage-8.0.beta7/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/sage/structure/sage_object.cpython-36m-darwin.so

(Why isn't it just called "sage_object.so"?)

--
John