On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 1:30:25 PM UTC-7, William wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what the status is these days, but we may want to stop
>> including a python3 binary in Sage by default with "python3" right
>> there in the "sage -sh" path...
>

> As far as I understand, having python3 included in sage is part of the
> deliberate strategy towards porting sage to python3. Since sage comes with
> its own python(2), the most straightforward move of sage would be towards
> sage working on top of an included python3.

The problem is simply the "python3" executable which gets picked up
and breaks things.

> If you're using jupyter for non-sage-specific purposes (apparently relying
> on a system python3), why not use system jupyter? Personally, I just install
> the sage-jupyter kernel in the system jupyter. That way, your main jupyter
> runs independent of sage (other than the extensions that get registered upon
> registering the sage kernel), and doesn't get confused by the system things
> sage does.

Nope.    For example, Sage worksheets in Cocalc have a full "jupyter
bridge" that lets you simultaneously use several different Jupyter
kernels from within a Sage session, e.g., in different cells of a
notebook.  Having python3 in the PATH randomly breaks many of these.
Removing it, and everything works fine.

For now I guess we'll keep deleting local/bin/python3 ourselves...

Frickin' Guido...

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)