On 4 September 2017 at 18:34, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> +1 I think if this functionality is needed for Solaris (or any other
> platform) it should be moved into configure.ac, and the explicit
> environment variables done away with.

But the variable does more than add -m64.
I fail to see what harm it is doing leaving it there, but removing it would
make a 64-bit Solaris port  more work. A lot of time was put into adding
the code in various files to accept that variable.

What is it going to gain by removing it? Make the download a few hundred
bytes smaller?

Dave