By the way, if the problem can be reduced to building the documentation
(that is, if "make build" succeeds but "make" does not), another option
would be to try "make doc-html-no-plot", or essentially equivalently do

    export SAGE_DOCBUILD_OPTS+=' --no-plot'
    make

It is possible that the plots in the documentation are causing some of the
problems.

   John