It's Sage 8.2 and it's from a tarball. I'm building it from scratch--I just
got a new computer. After extracting the tar file, and changing into the
sage-8.2 directory in my applications folder, I ran 'make'. Before that, I
tried to double check all the prerequisites and I installed some of the
ones I thought I didn't have.

After I got the error message, I ran the commands that everyone suggested,
above, unset PYTHONPATH and make, and then rm
/Applications/sage-8.2/upstream/setuptools-38.2.4.zip
and make. That's all.