Eric says
*I'm all for more operators supported by syntax*

This sounds like a terrible idea to me.  I assume you
do not endorse ALL operators. Just look at the
machine-level operations available in a typical
CPU.  Also look at the kinds of syntax freely invented
by physicists, chemists, and mathematicians.

Alternatively you can make up any subroutine name you like,
and define it as meaning 1/x.

If python does not allow this to be done efficiently
(by method dispatch, macro-expansion, function call or
whatever...) then THAT is a substantial problem
with Python (or Sage).

The lack of agreement on
what is meant by "~" seems to miss the point.

It could be that there is a big audience for
accessing "flipper" via Sage. But it seems to me
that people studying
"the action of mapping classes on laminations on punctured surfaces using
ideal triangulation coordinates. "
are probably not so dense that they
couldn't be taught to use functional/prefix notation
so as to avoid conflict with programming language
syntax.

RJF