On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 5:47 PM Frédéric Chapoton <fchapot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all, here is a short python3 status report.
>
> There is a patchbot report with python3 for 8.4.b2 somewhere on the page :
> https://patchbot.sagemath.org/ticket/0/
> (@ patchbot breeders, please update your patchbot so that we know if it
> builds and runs sage with python2 or python3.)
>
> We are now hopefully getting close to making the documentation (html and pdf)
> build with python3. One good step in this direction would be to merge the 4
> waiting pull requests in sagenb (and then upgrade the sagenb spkg, see
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/25837).
>
> Otherwise, some progress has been made on the hash issue
> (https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/24551). There remains in particular the
> controversial question of the hash issue for groups. There is no general
> agreement on the meaning of equality for groups, and this will probably make
> the definition of hash difficult.
>
> The patchbot report on sage+python3  for 8.4.b2 has still many (and I mean
> many) failing doctests. But it also stops badly in the way shown below,
> complaining that too many files are open. Could somebody investigate this
> issue, please ?

I'm not sure what's going on there--I haven't seen that before.  But I
also haven't merged 8.4.beta2 into my python3 branch yet.  I think
it's still based on 8.3.something.

For comparison though, on my python3 branch, which admittedly I
haven't updated in 2 or 3 weeks, but which has many fixes merged into
it that are not yet merged into develop, I have:

    $ grep -R "doctests\? failed" logs/ptest.log | wc -l
    465

or ~465 modules with failing doctests.  Of those, most of them do not
have hundreds of failures as in your report.  Here are the top 10 in
number of failures:

    $ grep 'doctests\? failed' logs/ptest.log | sort -k 5 -nr | head -10
    sage -t src/sage/misc/explain_pickle.py  # 71 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/graphs/generic_graph.py  # 25 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/combinat/diagram_algebras.py  # 25 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/combinat/finite_state_machine.py  # 24 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/combinat/rigged_configurations/kr_tableaux.py  #
23 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/matroids/matroid.pyx  # 20 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/categories/finite_dimensional_algebras_with_basis.py
 # 18 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/modular/modsym/ambient.py  # 17 doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/categories/quantum_group_representations.py  # 17
doctests failed
    sage -t src/sage/quadratic_forms/genera/normal_form.py  # 16 doctests failed

Of these, I know many of the failures to be due to slight ordering
differences in the output, such as of things like sets, or results
from graph algorithms that are not exactly deterministic (at least
between Python versions).  Of course, there are also still a number of
outright exceptions:

    $ grep -R "Exception raised" logs/ptest.log | wc -l
    613

To be clear, this was also with just `make ptest`, not `make
ptestlong`.  The numbers are probably a bit higher with some `# long
time` tests.  But I think what this shows is that we're in better
shape on Python 3 than I think the OP suggests, at least in theory.
We just need to get more of the existing fixes cleaned up so that they
can be merged.