I just downloaded sage-9.7.tar.gz from a mirror.  Is it deliberate
that this tarball contains the entire git repository? (This was also
true for 9.6 and 9.5 at least, I think).  I would have thought that a
release tarball need not contain the git repo stuff, just the files
needed to build, which would presumably make for a smaller tarball
than 1.4G.

John