Jason Grout wrote:
> R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
>> Would you recommend that I compile from the source tarball instead?
>

> Personally, that's what I recommend.  Sage development moves at a nice
> pace, and you're already missing out on a lot of very nice features and
> a lot of bugfixes because the debian package hasn't kept up.  The Sage
> that you download is self-contained in one directory, which you can
> delete or move around, so it is trivial to have multiple versions of
> Sage installed in parallel in your home directory, for example.

Thank you. I have downloaded, compiled and installed sage-3.4 from the
source tarball on my Kubuntu Intrepid PC. It has been packaged really
well because there were no hiccups. I only did two things after that.

1. On the first invocation of sage after installation, with

sudo sage

I ran

install_scripts('/usr/local/bin')

at the sage: prompt.

2. I also symlinked the sage script so:

sudo ln -sf /path-to-untarred-sage/sage-3.4/sage /usr/local/bin/sage

After that, things have been running smoothly and the problem with
solving non-linear equations that originally prompted this thread has gone.

>>> Does running "sage -maxima"
>>> run maxima?  Can you solve simpler equations?

This time, on running sage -maxima I get:

---
Maxima 5.16.3 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
Using Lisp CLISP 2.46 (2008-07-02)
Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
The function bug_report() provides bug reporting information.
---

For the benefit of the debian-sage team, the result for the Debian
package was

---
> Maxima 5.13.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
> Using Lisp GNU Common Lisp (GCL) GCL 2.6.8 (aka GCL)
> Distributed under the GNU Public License. See the file COPYING.
> Dedicated to the memory of William Schelter.
> This is a development version of Maxima. The function bug_report()
> provides bug reporting information.
---

Perhaps the differences between these two versions, including the type
of Lisp, (plus other possible differences) contributed to the error I
originally saw with the Debian package.

Cheers!

Chandra