On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 5:56:42 AM UTC-7, Daniel Friedan wrote:

> The kernel is still running.  The problem is not the culling of idle
> notebooks.
>
> When I close the browser tab and then reopen the notebook, the kernel is
> still running but output is lost and output from ongoing calculations does
> not appear.  When the ongoing calculations are finished, I can interact
> with the notebook again.
>
> Google tells me that this is a long-standing deficiency of Jupyter.

Ouch, I see. I didn't know that. I've tried and can confirm the behaviour.

The (deprecated) SageMath notebook behaves properly on reconnecting, as if
> there was no interruption.
>
> This behavior is indispensable to me, so I can't switch to the Jupyter
> notebook until Jupyter behaves properly when reconnecting.

This deficiency in Jupyter is not going to make the resources available to
maintain the sagenotebook, so I'm afraid the reality is going to be we're
going to have to do without it. You could take a look if cocalc does a
better job. It has its own notebook and I think they wrote/adapted their
own ipynb frontend too.

Otherwise, a work-around would be to structure long-running computations a
little differently to write state to a separate file rather than depending
on logging into the notebook. The kernel doesn't seem to lose state; it's
just output, so once the process has completed (which you could then see
from the file), the notebook is ready for interaction again.

Another workaround is to not close the browser but instead use something
like VNC or xpra to disconnect/reconnect (remotely) to your running browser.

It's pretty obvious that different behaviour of Jupyter would be the better
solution, but if the deficiency has been around for a long time and you
don't have definite plans to fix it yourself (I wouldn't know how to), the
reality is that this will likely not change.