On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:55 PM Szabolcs Horvát <szhor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I do have boost installed in /opt/local/include,
through MacPorts, but I remove MacPorts from the PATH before building Sage
(otherwise Sage complains). Therefore, I assumed that this boost
installation would not be detected. It appears that it might be sometimes
detected and sometimes not? The contents of config.log are a bit unclear to
me. I copy the relevant part below. Do you have any suggestion for what I
might try, based on this?

various Sage  packages have many ways to detect external software, and it's
not uncommon to  see loops over
/usr/include, /usr/local/include/, /opt/include, /opt/local/include in
their configuration scripts.
Perhaps you are hit by one of these issues.
Or perhaps you left an environment variable set, pointing at
/opt/local/include, e.g. CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS or CPPFLAGS...
At least it would explain why your log says

> configure:13392: g++ -std=gnu++11 -c -g -O2 -I/opt/local/include
conftest.cpp >&5

which contains -I/opt/local/include

As a workaround, please rename your /opt/local
while building Sage.

> [...]
> ## Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG boost_cropped... ##
> ## -------------------------------------------------------------- ##
> configure:13360: checking for boostlib >= 1.66.0 (106600)
> configure:13392: g++ -std=gnu++11 -c -g -O2 -I/opt/local/include
conftest.cpp >&5
> configure:13392: $? = 0
> configure:13394: result: yes
> configure:13558: will use system package and not install SPKG
boost_cropped
> ## ------------------------------------------------------ ##
> ## Checking whether SageMath should install SPKG boost... ##
> ## ------------------------------------------------------ ##
> configure:13658: checking whether any of boost_cropped is installed as or
will be installed as SPKG
> configure:13667: result: no
> configure:13691: g++ -std=gnu++11 -o conftest -g -O2 conftest.cpp -lm >&5
> conftest.cpp:24:12: fatal error: 'boost/program_options/errors.hpp' file
not found
> #include <boost/program_options/errors.hpp>
> ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 1 error generated.
> configure:13691: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "Sage"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "sage"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "9.1"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "Sage 9.1"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "sage-de...@googlegroups.com"
> | #define PACKAGE_URL ""
> | #define PACKAGE "sage"
> | #define VERSION "9.1"
> | #define STDC_HEADERS 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
> | #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
> | #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
> | #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
> | #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
> | #define HAVE_LIBM 1
> | #define HAVE_CXX11 1
> | #define HAVE_BOOST /**/
> | /* end confdefs.h. */
> | #include <boost/program_options/errors.hpp>
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> | boost::program_options::error err("Error message");
> | return 0;
> |
> | ;
> | return 0;
> | }
> configure:13719: no suitable system package found for SPKG boost
>
> On Fri, 4 Sep 2020 at 13:04, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 11:12 AM Szabolcs Horvát <szhor...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I am trying to compile Sage on macOS 10.14.
>> >
>> > The package brial-1.2.5 fails to compile.
>> >
>> > The error is:
>> >
>> > ../../libbrial/include/polybori/common/traits.h:26:10: fatal error:
'boost/preprocessor/cat.hpp' file not found
>> > #include <boost/preprocessor/cat.hpp>
>> > ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> > 1 error generated.
>> >
>> > Did anyone succeed to compile Sage on macOS 10.14? Is a separate,
manual installation of Boost necessary to compile? Sage does appear to
include (or auto-download?) Boost, so I assume this is not the case.

an email to sage-support+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-support/53272397-0628-49ac-91d2-eeccb93fedb2n%40googlegroups.com
.

>> --