On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 7:41:16 PM UTC-7 bluf...@gmail.com wrote:

> Using dnf to install sagemath works on Fedora 34,  but then /usr/bin/sage
> gives
> a weird error message.

Please report Fedora packaging bugs to Fedora.

> Compiling sage from sage-9.2.tar.gz does not work.
> Using CC=clang CXX=clang++ FC=flang it hangs.  Here are the last three
> lines that get printed to the screen:
>
> [numpy-1.19.5] creating build/src.linux-x86_64-3.9/numpy
> [numpy-1.19.5] creating build/src.linux-x86_64-3.9/numpy/distutils
> [numpy-1.19.5] building library "npymath" sources

This is much too little information. We need at least the top-level
config.log, and the full build log of the package.

In any case, 9.2 is outdated, but also 9.3 does not support building on
Fedora 34 with the default compilers.
You can try the branch at https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31786

> What can I do to get sage not to compile numpy?

This is not supported by the Sage distribution.