On Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 12:55:46 PM UTC-7 hbetx9 wrote:

> On my system, python2 and python3 is installed, but there is no generic
> python symlink. Does this need to be created for sage and if so should it
> be python3? In installed from tarball, so this is not an issue with the
> Ubuntu package.

The latest binary for Linux (https://www.sagemath.org/download.html) is
Sage 9.3. If you are using this binary tarball, you will have to make sure
that the symlink python->python3 exists; there is a package that provides
it. See
also
https://wiki.sagemath.org/ReleaseTours/sage-9.3#Availability_in_distributions_and_as_binaries

The latest version is Sage 9.4. Using the source tarball, there is no need
to do anything about python/python3. Just follow the instructions in the
README.