On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 1:34 AM Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> What would the current (Spring 2023) easiest instructions be for people to
> install sage? I'm asking in support of an install-fest for students, so the
> objective is to have easy solutions for giving students access on whatever
> platform they have available.
> I know about cloud-based solutions, so I'll definitely point them to those.
> I'm asking for "the next step up".
>
> In the install advice I see:
> for OSX:
>  - binary build of SageMath (looks like an excellent solution)
> - https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/sage (would be a great place to point
> students to, because it's a rich environment for computational software).
> However: https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/sage seems to indicate that various
> architecture-specific builds are woefully outdated: "noarch" seems to be on
> point, but the architecture-specific ones seem stuck on 9.2. Am I reading the
> info wrong? Obviously I don't want to point people to 9.2 installs.
>
> for windows:
>  - OK WSL; that's great. However, it looks like Ubuntu would be the easiest
> linux distribution to get and as far as I can see, Ubuntu has 9.5 packaged at
> most? That's not great either.
>  - conda: see above
>
> for linux:
>  - same thing.
>  - conda: see above.

there are linux distributions with up to date Sage:
see https://repology.org/project/sagemath/versions

ArchLinux
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/sagemath/

 Void:
https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=sagemath

Manjaro;
Fedora Rawhide

And Gentoo and Nix - although it's trickier.

Archlinux may be run in WSL: https://github.com/yuk7/ArchWSL
Fedora as well:
https://www.linuxfordevices.com/tutorials/linux/install-fedora-on-windows
In fact, Microsoft says anything Linux in a Docker can be used on WSL:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/use-custom-distro

Also, there is Docker, which can run CoCalc:
https://hub.docker.com/r/sagemathinc/cocalc
as well as stock SageMath https://hub.docker.com/u/sagemath