On Thu, 30 Mar 2023, 18:25 'Peter Mueller' via sage-support, <
sage-support@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> When working with finite permutation groups, it seems to me that one has
> the choice to either use the groups as sage objects like
> `SymmetricGroup(4)`, or as a Gap object via `libgap.SymmetricGroup(4)`. The
> former has rather limited functionality (and quite a few bugs as reported
> earlier), so the advise was to use the latter concept.
>
> So after setting `g = libgap.SymmetricGroup(4)`, things like
> `g.Stabilizer(1)` work as expected. However, I have difficulties to figure
> out how for instance the equivalent of the Gap code `Stabilizer(g, [1,2],
> OnSets)` would look like. Something like `g. Stabilizer([1, 2], 'OnSets')`
> raises a GapError.

it is

g. Stabilizer([1, 2], libgap.OnSets)

(which makes sense, as in GAP you also don't pass a string to Stabilizer,
but you pass a GAP action)

> Are these things documented somewhere? I couldn't find anything.

all we have is
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/reference/libs/sage/libs/gap/libgap.html
(and source code, eg in src/sage/graphs/)

 - pull requests welcome 😁

Dima