Hi,
Looking for a bit of advice:

One of the patches for xsane from Debian further restricts the umask setting for files created by xsane from the current value of 007 to 077.
Quoting one of the bug reports:

"xsane overwrites the user's umask to 0007, and creates ~/.sane and other files with the according 770 permissions on directories and 660 on files containing the printer description. This is dangerous in a multiuser environment."

I'm not sure why affording group access is really an issue in a multiuser environment. The default behaviour for most users on desktop Linux is to get their own group.

There isn't much additional information on the bug report to specify what the specific danger is with a umask of 007.
I want to understand the thinking before I accept this patch.

Anyone have any insight here?

Cheers,
Ralph