Hi Kip,

Am 14.09.19 um 03:40 schrieb Kip Shaffer:
> Scanning Results!  I updated to today's version: 1.0.28+git20190913-bionic0
>
> Using Simple Scan I was able to scan at 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, and
> 2400 dpi in both Text and Photo modes.  Perfect!

I just updated the doc files.

> When scanning from the document feeder, it scans front and back, one
> sheet or many, but after the job is done there is a pause, and then it
> says "Error communicating with scanner".

Can you scan again after closing the message and/or does your scanner hang?

The pause comes from adf-wait parameter. Please read the man page for
details.

> Also, this has all been through USB.  I tried to connect with the
> network and scanimage -L cannot find it.  I added the address to
> pixma.conf (neither line helped):
> bjnp://MF640_192.168.1.97
> bjnp://192.168.1.97 <http://192.168.1.97>

Please read 'man sane-pixma' to get some help for this issue. If this
won't help, please provide a log file with SANE_DEBUG_BJNP.

> TL:DR - the sane-pixma backend is functional for the Canon ImageClass
> MF644Cdw when connected via USB, with only a slight hiccup after
> scanning from the sheet feeder.  I was not able to scan over the network.

Many thanks for your report.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf