I have had contact with both Genesys Logic and Canon. It is not possible to
get the GL124 data sheet.

Guessing from the data code, this chip is 13+ years old so I'm quite
surprised to see this reluctance to release the data sheet.

I will go forward with the workaround (stay below or at 1200 dpi, scan in
color and post-process).

J.