Le 2019-11-07 22:33, Louis Lagendijk a écrit :
On Fri, 2019-11-08 at 10:12 +1300, John Tait via sane-devel wrote:

Thank you Rolf, I think I did see that but it didn't register with
me at the time.  This is a new printer replacing one that had a
wired connection and I haven't made the mental jump that I am now
using a wifi connection.

John

The same problem will occur if you would connect to the scanner over
ethernet: canon is removing the bjnp/mfnp protocols from recent
scanner models, See the man-page for sane-pixma in GIT, updated
yesterday for a description of a method of finding out if you device
supports one of these protocols.

Basically start avahi-discover and look at the content of the
_scanner._tcp entry for the device. If this does not mention port 8610
(mfnp) or 8612 it is likely that the scanner does not one of these
protocols

Louis
You will find a list of scanners supported by canon_pixma :
http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html
Thierry