Hello, I'm new on Linux and in this list. My intention is to help
sharing my experience making this target scanner to work on Linux from
OpenSuSE 10.1 on x86-64 arch. Just in case, I wrote a small "how to" on:
http://en.opensuse.org/Epson_Perfection_3490_Photo

Considering OpenSuSE already with Sane, the major steps are:

1. Check if usb hoplug recognized your usb scanner: Use command line
"lsusb" to check.

2. Check if sane let snapscan be available: Uncomment snapscan
in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

3. Check if snapscan recognize the usb scanner: On OpenSuSE use YaST
(Hardware/Scanner). Do not know how to do it on Ubuntu.

4. Check if snapscan.conf (on /etc/sane.d) pointing correctly to the
target scanner firmware esfw52.bin.

obs: You can get the firmware esfw52.bin installing iscan-firmware 1.18
rpm package (in this 1.18 version there are packages for i386, i586 and
x86-64 arch).

That was all for me. scanimage command line works and so xsane.

Regards
Marcio