From bersac...@laposte.net  Sun Jan 21 18:56:43 2007
From: bersac...@laposte.net (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C9tienne?= Bersac)
Date: Sun Jan 21 18:56:51 2007
Subject: [sane-devel] Using host operating system hardware detection

Hi,

Following HAL sane support, i talk a bit at freedesktop about a scanner
infrastructure (mostly on top of SANE), for handling buttons event, and
so on.

One more time, i heard this idea i join : SANE should use host operating
system hardware detection and handling. As stated above, sanei should be
able to handle either HAL UDI and similar standard in Unix, Windows, Mac
OS X, ?

The better solution would be to receive UDI and only UDI, not backends.
So that a frontend can use HAL to query scanner list, and directly
sane_open the result. The same on Windows, Mac OS X, Unix, ?

At build time, it's simple to choose which "source" can be understand by
sanei.

Please comment.

?tienne.
--