Jeff Breidenbach writes:

> When I run scanimage on a Fujitsu S1500, the program is a little
> unhappy even after normal operation, note the return code.  This
> is not great for pipelines. Should I attempt a fix? This is version
> 1.0.23-3ubuntu3 on the latest Ubuntu release. Sorry, I haven't yet
> figured out how to configure a vanilla build of SANE from git to
> talk to hardware.
>
> $ scanimage --batch
> Scanning -1 pages, incrementing by 1, numbering from 1
> Scanning page 1
> Scanned page 1. (scanner status = 5)
> Scanning page 2
> Scanned page 2. (scanner status = 5)
> Scanning page 3
> scanimage: sane_start: Document feeder out of documents
> $ echo $?
> 7

That's SANE_STATUS_NO_DOCS which is to be expected for --batch scans.
I'd say scanimage should return EXIT_SUCCESS for --batch scans if and
only if it has successfully acquired at least one image.  That is,
starting a --batch scan without any originals in the feeder should still
return SANE_STATUS_NO_DOCS.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962