Hello,

I just changed to openSUSE Leap 42.2, where my Canon CanoScan 9000F stopped working properly. scanimage scanned one page. Then stopped working when starting to scan the next page. Scanner needed to be switched off and on for the next scan. Leap 42.2 comes with sane-backends V 1.0.24. After update to 1.0.25 it works properly. The V 1.0.25 for Leap 42.2 can be installed from the repository
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/graphics/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/

Thanks to Andrea (1) who gave me that hint in a German forum.

sane-backend V 1.0.25 (which has a workaround for USB3-problems in the kernel) seems also to be required for newer kernels. I tried openSUSE Leap 42.2 with kernels 4.9.2-1-default and 4.10.0-rc3-1-vanilla. scanimage worked for both kernels without problems for me only with sane-backend 1.0.25.

Happy scanning
Peter