Hello,

i switched some weeks ago from Windows to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I have some trouble using my scanner of Canon i-SENSYS MF4380dn via network. I installed the printer driver from this site: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/laser/laserbase_mf_series/i-sensys_mf4380dn.aspx?type=drivers&language=EN&os=LINUX The printer is working as expected. After that I added this the Sane Repository as described here: https://launchpad.net/~rolfbensch/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git I added to the file /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf: "bjnp://192.168.2.199" (which is the ip of the canon device) and tried to find the scanner via "sane-find-scanner" and "scanimage -L", but that did not work.

The results are:
~$ sane-find-scanner

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that   # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

and:

~$ sudo scanimage -L

I found several different repos, versions etc. of sane. Some posts wrote about different configurations etc. I already tried this to: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2014-April/032283.html Additionally I opened the ports 8610 and 8612 as inbound and outbound via "sudo iptables -A IN/OUTPUT -p udp --dport 8610/8612 -j ACCEPT"

I would say that I am technically adept (at least a bit) but I am very new to linux. Is there somebody who could help me out and could describe some steps I could try to get this scanner working? I have no clue how to go ahead...

best regards,
Stefan