Hi Chris,

Chris writes:

> Hi,
>
> My first post here, and whilst I think I've covered the obvious things,
> I could have easily missed something. But I can read, so in case I
> missed what to read, kindly tell me....
>
> Having said that, I have got a Mustek A3F1200N scanner. It's an usb
> scanner and Mustek offers a xsane backend deb file for this scanner at
> ftp://ftp2.mustek.com.tw/pub/new/driver/A3F1200N/Linux/ . I run 64 bit
> LMDE2, so I downloaded and installed the .deb file. This added a lot of
> files to /etc/sane.d, but xsane does not detect the scanner. So I did an
> lsusb and found this: Bus 001 Device 010: ID 055f:050c Mustek Systems, Inc.

Third party backend binary packages often don't bother with getting the
device access permissions right on *your* particular system.  Taking a
quick look at Mustek's binaries, it doesn't seem to even do so much as
try.

# Apart from that, it seems to warp you back in time to sane-backends
# 1.0.23 for all other backends and clobber whatever changes you made
# to /etc/sane.d.  At least for the i386 deb.

You didn't mention the distribution you use but something like the below
ought to work for most.

 sudo cp /lib/udev/rules.d/*-libsane.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/

and replace the whole of the gargatuan list of entries that look like

  ATTRS{idVendor}=="055f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="050c", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

with that single line.  Replace the line that starts with

  ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes"

with

  ENV{libsane_matched}=="yes", RUN+="chmod 0666 $env{DEVNAME}"

Replug your device and things should work, if my recollection of the way
udev works still up to snuff.  It's not the most granular and security
conscious way of going about this but is good enough for single user
machines and most SOHO use.

Hope this helps,