I used the term "dead".  SL7 (and earlier?) is still active.  By dead, I did not mean SL 7, I meant SL in general for the future.   As I understand the situation, Fermilab/CERN (and thus the HEP community upon which many of us are "piggybacking" -- not freeloading if one is paying taxes to a government that is providing funding to Fermilab or CERN) has abandoned SL going forward -- NO SL 8, but Fermilab/CERN will be using CentOS 8 (with modifications?  I do not know).  CentOS is a RedHat subsidiary, and RedHat is fully owned by IBM.  Thus, one must depend upon the good will (profit motive?) of IBM to provide a viable CentOS 8 that may be competing with the for-profit RHEL 8 of IBM.  SL may be dependent upon the RHEL sources that RedHat and IBM are required to provide under the GPL, etc., but will make things operational and, as a separate distro, also is required to release source.  Once SL is not a distro, internal changes at Fermilab/CERN to CentOS do not have the same general "public" immediacy as would an official public distro.  As has been explained elsewhere, going from such source to a bootable stable useful OS environment is no trivial matter -- an OS does not simply and automatically "rebuild" from such source.  It is important that a distro be professionally maintained, not by amateur volunteers.  The latter approach may work for some applications, but not an entire OS that is a much more complicated entity than most applications.  The professional staff doing the distro presumably have this work as part of their assigned compensated duties, not simply as an amateur when one has the time for it (retired or independently wealthy professionals doing the distro are not the personnel base upon which one can rely).