I find it extremely puzzling that you can express so much fear about IBM and then even consider moving into the arms of Oracle!

I used Scientific Linux for about 10 years and it was fantastic. Close to 4 years ago I moved to a new place which uses CentOS instead. It also works just fine, other than the support cycle being a bit different there is almost zero pain or re-learning involved. If that wasn't enough, FNAL and CERN have also clearly put their faith into CentOS for the future.