The Python Essential Reference by David Beazley is quite good, fairly
complete, and covers the differences between 2 and 3. The first couple
hundred pages are a tutorial that I felt gave me my sea legs, and then
there's a good deal of topic based reference material. Vaguely
reminiscent of the pickaxe.

Kevin Clark
http://glu.ttono.us