Jonathan Drews said on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 22:28:41 -0600

>I get the following warning when I link the program RandomPasswdGen
>
>$ cc -Wall -c randpass.c
>$ cc randpass.o -o RandomPasswdGen
> randpass.c(randpass.o:(main)): warning: rand() may return
> deterministic values,
>is that what you want?
>
>How can I modify:
>srand((int) time(NULL));              /*  Set the seed */
>
>to make it less deterministic ?

If you're on Linux, consider using getrandom() at least for the seed.
Maybe it will work on BSD too: I don't have a BSD VM installed right
now.

man -a getrandom

Also:

man 7 random

https://www.baeldung.com/linux/entropy-pool-rngd

Maybe you can concatenate the epoch time concatenated with the uptime of
a given daemon and the sum of the PID and STAT values in ps xo PID,STAT
and the number of bytes in the command that's #1 in the top command at
this instant and maybe a couple other things, and use that as a seed.
Concatenate in lots of things that require root. For instance, lshw
delivers very different results for root than for a normal user.

HTH

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21