Hi Quan,

+1 for Java 21 for new James distribution version.

Libraries IMO should be released with support for older versions versions.
Not every project can use the latest and greatest JVM.
And I don't think low level libraries (mime4j) will benefit a lot from new Java language features.

Keep in mind, you can run a library built for Java 8 on JVM 21, but not the other way around.

IMO I will plan a switch to Java 21 some time after Java 22 is out (3-6 months) after some JVM version reports are published.

Eugen

La 06.02.2024 15:32, Benoit TELLIER a scris:
Hi Quan

+1 on the principle.

However I have a few remarks:

1. Please be precise on James versions:
  - Java 21 will be used by Apache James for versions 3.9.0 onward
 - Java 11 will be used by Apache James for versions 3.7.x and 3.8.x. No backport of the Java 21 switch is planned.

2. Votes follow a more formal procedure within the ASF, and voting rules shall be clearly stated (voting time, voting threshold) cf https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
In practice:
  - I propose the wording "lazy consensus"
  - for code changes we may remind that the vote may be vetoed
 - Provide an explicit voting time range specifying starting date and time and ending date.
    In practice a minimum of 3 days is recommended.

Regards

Benoit