Hi Wendy,

Thanks for this additional information and context. Is there publicly available
documentation for the product and this functionality? I think that might be the
most efficient way to answer some of the questions arising around this. If not,
I have a few follow-on questions. In what ways and to what extent can the
profiles be adjusted prior to issuance? Is the TLS certificate issued directly
by a Root, or a subordinate CA? Is the OCSP signing certificate generated even
if no OCSP responders are configured or expected to be used? What are the
default profiles used for each of the certificates, if not adjusted prior to
issuance?

I’d like to understand better how these events occur — and why within the
context of the product — but currently it seems the described product is not
well-suited to operations within the Web (or any Public) PKI. While it’s
promising that the profiles are configurable, it remains quite concerning that
a CA/HSM would issue certificates automatically, without the initiation and
explicit input of CA personnel being prerequisite.

Cheers,
-Clint