Hi Paul,

There are a lot of ways that the EVGs differ from the TBRs; that’s basically
the point of them, as I understand it. Specifically it’s within the profiles
that most non-process-oriented differences can be found between EV, OV, IV, and
DV TLS certificates. Are all of these differences issues which should be
addressed by the WG to bring EV TLS certificates more in line with the leaner
profiles found in the TBRs?

I don’t see how this is a genuine misalignment between the TBRs and the EVGs. I
could possibly see a misalignment between RFC 5280 and the EVGs, but even there
it’s very intentional that allowance is given such that individual use-cases
can successfully be addressed without violating the RFC.

From https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2119#section-4: (emphasis mine)
"SHOULD NOT   This phrase, or the phrase "NOT RECOMMENDED" mean that
   there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the
   particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full
   implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed
   before implementing any behavior described with this label.”

From https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.4:
"To promote interoperability, this profile RECOMMENDS that policy
   information terms consist of only an OID.  Where an OID alone is
   insufficient, this profile strongly recommends that the use of
   qualifiers be limited to those identified in this section.”

In both cases, it’s clear to me, when encountering a SHOULD, SHOULD NOT,
RECOMMENDS, or NOT RECOMMENDED that the expectation is for CAs to individually
assess what is the most appropriate action to take. That doesn’t sound like a
misalignment, so much as an acknowledgement of potential nuance and the need
for additional consideration. As you say, they shouldn’t "unless they have a
good reason to" — such as the EV Guidelines explicitly requiring
policyQualifiers.

I don’t have any particular concern with the change itself, to be clear, but
the motivation behind this — and the abruptness of the introduction of the
topic — remain opaque to me.

Thank you,
-Clint