Hi Adriano,

I haven’t looked through minutes and such yet, but as I recall this ordering
was discussed a number of times on Validation Subcommittee calls during the
creation of SC-062 (i.e. sometime in 2020-2023). The resultant ordering
originated from the combination of 3 primary sources:
1. X.509/X.520
2. RFC 5280
3. WG Consensus

I think there’s additional discussion in the link that Jaime provided that’s
relevant as well:

chrisbn May 13, 2022
How would fields need to be handled that are not in the current list? E.g.
subject:businessCategory or subject:jurisdictionLocalityName from EVG? I'm also
interested to know if there's a source for this requirement, or what's the
driver for the ordering?

sleevi May 13, 2022
You mean, where would these be sorted?
These are requirements derived from the semantics of RFC 5280 and X.509. A DN
is hierarchical in semantic naming, and an RDN with multiple elements is saying
that these names are semantically equivalent hierarchically.
For the name forms listed, they are not semantically equivalent (e.g. a
countryName is not the same hierarchy as a localityName / interchangeable
with), and there is a semantic hierarchy.
These are already existing logical requirements, just being made explicit.

chrisbn May 13, 2022
Yes, I wonder about the order of fields not in this list.
I understand the hierarchy to order logic, but is the order defined in Section
7.1.4.2 based on an existing specification, or how did we come to this ordering?

sleevi May 13, 2022
It is based on the definitions within X.509 and X.520, given these fields are
generally geographical in nature.
That said, there’s definitely flexibility here to get us closer to consistency
among CAs, which is a key point of profiling, so if there are changes and
concerns, it’s totally appropriate to highlight.
Prior relevant art includes RFC 2377
[https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2377], RFC 1218
[https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1218.html], and RFC 1255
[https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1255]