Hi Tim,

> On May 10, 2024, at 8:52 AM, Tim Hollebeek via Servercert-wg
> <servercert-wg@cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> Whether the comparison should be case sensitive or not is not a question of
> how “strict” the linter should be, but what the requirements are.  Linters
> MUST NOT make their own determinations as to what the requirements are, and
> SHOULD highlight cases like this where ambiguity may be present.  For
> example, it would be sensible to WARN that a value deviates in case from the
> correct value, and that the requirements are unclear whether that’s allowed
> (assuming SC-74 had passed in its current form).
>
> However, I would question whether it’s actually even unclear at all.  It’s
> impossible to interpret the highlighted language into a, b, or c, because the
> language is completely silent on not just capitalization, but the titles
> themselves.  I interpret the highlighted language as saying you have to
> include at least every section and subsection, but it doesn’t matter what
> titles you give those sections or subsections (since there’s no relevant
> requirements).  That’s what the highlighted text says, and questions of
> whether it has to be capitalized the same way miss the fact that it doesn’t
> even say the same titles need to be used.
>
> There are also some hilarious errors in 3647 if you look closely.  I think
> the best path forward would be something along the lines of:
>
> MUST include at least every section and subsection defined in Appendix ZZ,
> and MUST use the section and subsection titles listed there
> The titles SHOULD be formatted, worded, capitalized and spelled the same way,
> and
> Errors in formatting or titling sections of a CPS are not grounds for
> revocation of affected certificates.

Overall agreed with what’s stated here, except this part of the proposal. I do
agree with what I believe your intent to be, but depending on how this is
worded it seems it could lead to overly broad application (e.g. the error in
titling “Non-verified subscriber information” results in a title of “Verified
subscriber information”). Mostly just drawing attention to it as something that
would need to be crafted somewhat carefully and perhaps would be preferable to
have the MUST and SHOULD sections worded specifically enough that the intended
allowance for errors in formatting or titling are encapsulated as clearly not
part of the MUST requirement and clearly part of the SHOULD requirement. That
approach would also avoid (I think) needing to consider the interaction of
something like #3 with 4.9.1.2.(5).

Cheers,
-Clint