On 10/23/18 9:46 AM, dean.l...@oracle.com wrote:
On 10/22/18 3:31 PM, David Holmes wrote:
Sorry Dean I'm concerned about a thread termination bottleneck with this. A simple microbenchmark that creates 500,000 threads that have to run and terminate, shows a 15+% slowdown on my Linux box. I tried to find some kind of real benchmarks that covers thread termination but couldn't see anything specific.

Can you at least run this through our performance system to see if any of the regular benchmarks are affected.

OK, but even if the regular benchmarks don't show a difference, I'd feel better if microbenchmarks were not affected.  What if I go back to the original approach and add locking:

   static jlong get_live_thread_count()        { MutexLocker mu(Threads_lock); return _live_threads_count->get_value() - _exiting_threads_count; }    static jlong get_daemon_thread_count()      { MutexLocker mu(Threads_lock); return _daemon_threads_count->get_value() - _exiting_daemon_threads_count; }

along with the other cleanups around is_daemon and is_hidden_thread?

Some micro-benchmarks like SecureRandomBench show a regression with webrev.7.  I could go back to webrev.5 and then we shouldn't need any locking in the get_*() functions.

dl

dl