On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 22:41:56 GMT, Yi-Fan Tsai <d...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> `jcmd Compiler.perfmap` uses the hard-coded file name for a perf map:
>> `/tmp/perf-%d.map`. This change adds an optional argument for specifying a
>> file name.
>>
>> `jcmd PID help Compiler.perfmap` shows the following usage.
>>

>> Compiler.perfmap
>> Write map file for Linux perf tool.
>>
>> Impact: Low
>>
>> Syntax : Compiler.perfmap  [<filename>]
>>
>> Arguments:
>>         filename : [optional] Name of the map file (STRING, no default value)
>>

>> The following section of man page is also updated. (`man -l
>> src/jdk.jcmd/share/man/jcmd.1`)
>>

>>        Compiler.perfmap [arguments] (Linux only)
>>               Write map file for Linux perf tool.
>>
>>               Impact: Low
>>
>>               arguments:
>>
>>               ยท filename: (Optional) Name of the map file (STRING, no
>> default value)
>>
>>               If filename is not specified, a default file name is chosen
>> using the pid of the target JVM process.  For example, if the pid is 12345,
>> then
>>               the default filename will be /tmp/perf-12345.map.
>
> Yi-Fan Tsai has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Update copyright of PerfMapTest

The man page says "no default value" but then right below describes the default
value, which is confusing.  I would remove "no default value".
The code already deals with patterns, so why not allow a pattern like
/dir/perf-%x.map and document that the platform-specific process id will be
passed to String.format() to expand any formatting tokens in the string?

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15871#issuecomment-1854683037