On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 23:37:22 GMT, Vladimir Kozlov <k...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Move immutable nmethod's data from CodeCache to C heap. It includes
>> `dependencies, nul_chk_table, handler_table, scopes_pcs, scopes_data,
>> speculations, jvmci_data`. It amounts for about 30% (optimized VM) of space
>> in CodeCache.
>>
>> Use HotSpot's `os::malloc()` to allocate memory in C heap for immutable
>> nmethod's data. Bail out compilation if allocation failed.
>>
>> Shuffle fields order and change some fields size from 4 to 2 bytes to avoid
>> nmethod's header size increase.
>>
>> Tested tier1-5, stress,xcomp
>>
>> Our performance testing does not show difference.
>>
>> Example of updated `-XX:+PrintNMethodStatistics` output is in JBS comment.
>
> Vladimir Kozlov has updated the pull request incrementally with one
>
>   Address comments. Moved jvmci_data back to mutable data section.

Update:
1. Addressed @dean-long first comments.
2. Based on discussion with Doug and Tom (see comments in
[JDK-8331087](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8331087)), moved `jvmci_data`
back to nmethod's mutable data section.
3. Replaced my allocation failure handling code with call to
`vm_exit_out_of_memory()`.

    I verified (with `UseNewCode` hack`) that out of memory is correctly
reported in fastdebug and product VMs:

#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (malloc) failed to allocate 64 bytes. Error detail:
nmethod: no space for immutable data
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /scratch/kvn/jdk_git/hs_err_pid4086275.log

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18984#issuecomment-2081701059