p.elsie posted a new comment:
1.0.1 on a clean RHEL5 installation gets me to the same point, but much
quicker.

/usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found

So I've still got to compile glibc.

As for the refactoring, I've built some stuff in Java on top of Sikuli
to test our application.  I started with Python; but since we use Java
and TestNG for our application, and Sikuli is an open source Java
project, it just made sense to use Java and TestNG for testing our GUI.
Things didn't work so well when I tried upgrading and I retreated back
to the old version.  I just haven't had time to work on migrating to the
new Sikuli.  As long as I don't test the Linux version of our
application - which sees very little usage - everything works pretty
well with what I have now.

Sikuli is really sweet.  Thanks for all of your contributions.