On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Sriram Karra <ska...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any generally accepted 'seminal'/'critically acclaimed' books
> (preferably in English) on the anti-brahmin movement in Tamil Nadu?

Funny you should ask, I was thinking about just this earlier this morning.

I don't know about critically acclaimed, the Brahmins have for the
most part adapted and moved on or moved out of the country rather than
stand and fight. Therefore there isn't much stirring literature out
there.

I did order this off Amazon - haven't received it yet,

Passions of the Tongue: Language Devotion in Tamil India, 1891-1970
(Studies on the History of Society and Culture , No 29) (Paperback)
by Sumathi Ramaswamy

It about the Tamil language and its role in the politics and culture
of TN. The anti-brahmin movement in Tamil Nadu could really be seen as
an anti-Sanskrit movement, and therefore this should make interesting
reading.

Cheeni