On 2/19/2018 9:20 AM, Hittner, David T [US] (MS) wrote:
The ES40 emulator does have some issues, and development has been discontinued.
From the ES40 home page: http://es40.org/Homepage

    Discontinuation Notice

ES40 emulator development has virtually been halted since 2009. The lead
developer of ES40, Camiel Vanderhoevenis developing both Freeware and
Commercial Alpha and VAX emulators for Migration Specialties.

FreeAXP <http://www.freeaxp.com/> is the Freeware Alpha emulator from Migration
Specialties.

Avanti <http://www.migrationspecialties.com/Emulator-Alpha.html> is the
Freeware Alpha emulator from Migration Specialties.

I (and the ES40 author) would highly recommend that you use Migration
Specialties’s FreeAXP emulator instead of ES40 if you are just looking to
successfully run OpenVMS on an Alpha emulator. FreeAXP is a stable and
supported Alpha emulator for both OpenVMS and TRU64 and is available at no cost.

http://www.migrationspecialties.com/FreeAXP.html

Dave

The lack of a Non-Windows host makes this a non-starter for me.  All I have are
Linux and macOS systems here. I won't buy a Windows license to run under an
emulator to run an emulator for an Alpha.  The limitation to 128MB of memory on
the FreeAXP emulator is also a problem.  Being free, I realize I have little
firm ground to stand on, but I just wanted to make it known that it's hardly an
ideal solution for everyone.

I look forward if/when SimH has as good of an Alpha emulation as it does PDP
and VAX.

John H. Reinhardt