On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 05:04:01PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Can NT4 > SP6 be changed to supply Plain Text Password -or- Samba
> configured to accept both Plain and Encrypted Passwords.

Yes.  See /usr/doc/samba-2.0.7/docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION.txt
and /usr/doc/samba-2.0.7/docs/textdocs/WinNT.txt

> Has anyone had experience with smbmount and its reliability ?

I keep several shares permanently mounted from our NT server and only have
one minor problem.  If I haven't accessed the mounted share for some time
(varies from 30 minutes to a couple of hours), the connection appears to
be lost. It's re-established by smbmount automatically (in 2.0.7 but not
earlier versions), and the following messages appear in syslog:

Jun 28 15:34:49 dropbear kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting invalid
Jun 28 15:34:49 dropbear kernel: smb_retry: new pid=10342, generation=15

I haven't had time to dig any deeper and find out why it happens, but
since smbmount recovers itself, it's no big deal.

Cheers,

John
--
whois [EMAIL PROTECTED]