Hi Judith,

As I understand it, the proposed change is purely additive. That is, currently
there are no approved frameworks in the SBRs meaning that there is no way for a
compliant CA to rely upon a digital signature as evidence for the collection of
Individual identity attributes (or any other purpose, I believe, but haven’t
checked outside of Section 3.2.4.1 as closely). From my reading, this change
doesn’t eliminate the ability for those not in the EU to trust existing digital
signatures as evidence as no such ability exists today. Rather, this change
would only add the ability to rely on digital signatures created by a subset of
eIDAS Electronic Qualified Signature Certificates. While that is still limited
in scope, as you indicate, it also doesn’t remove anything already allowed by
the SBRs.

Can you help me understand better where you see the current SBRs as allowing
CAs to rely upon digital signatures in the context of 3.2.4.1 today?

Thank you!
-Clint