I think that the problem lies deeply in the way that developers, in general,
program for distributed computing...We should not rely on the top down
command running after command approach. We should program using an event
model...what I would like to see is applications that fire off a request and
then wait for the response/responses which are sent back through another
protocol...say for instance SMTP...the responses can then be collated and
passed to the client as an event...this event would then signal that the
program can continue...

I think that the Java Spaces technology is on the brink of a revolution here
since it could easily extend the Space interface to include spaces that
handled soap requests...you would

1. Place your requests in the space...

2. You would have a soap service that would sit on the space waiting for
soap tasks...these would be taken from the space and distributed to a server

3. The soap service would then look at the space once more waiting for tasks
that needed to be processed...

4. Meanwhile...SOAP tasks would be processed and then posted back to the
soap service which is monitoring the space...all finished tasks would then
be placed back in the space when they are received in the finished queue, so
to speak...

5. While all this is happening the client can be waiting for the finished
tasks to be placed back in the queue...where they would be extracted and
processed...the whole process then starts again...

The is a better way of handling distributed computing...The technologies
that are available for java now could implement this solution with minimal
problems.

I can not understand why sun haven't already released a toolkit that sits
round this implementation??...(if they have then ignore me!)