Hi Nigel,
I am using soap2.3.1 for RPCs
calling the methods takes as far I remember not very much changes
and it is looking somehting like this:

SOAPHTTPConnection st = new SOAPHTTPConnection();
SOAPContext ctx = new SOAPContext();
ctx.setGzip(true);
Call call = new Call(m_soapServiceName,
                     callName,
                     params,
                     null,
                     Constants.NS_URI_SOAP_ENC,
                     ctx
                    );
call.setSOAPTransport(st);

Butyou also need to enhance the soap depoloy discriptor looking something
like this:

   <isd:provider type="java"
                  scope="Application"
                  methods= "...">